Local health departments (LHDs) and California Department of Public Health (CDPH) TB Control Branch (TBCB) staff work together to develop strategies and practices to improve TB diagnosis and treatment in California, for TB disease and TB infection. With approximately 2,000 people diagnosed with TB disease each year, and 2 million Californians estimated to be living with TB infection, collaborations between local and state staff keep policies and practices grounded in the work being done across the state to identify, treat, cure and prevent TB. CTCA staff and volunteers facilitate and support this work.
In order to build skills and knowledge in the field and to create an opportunity for networking among TB program staff across the state, CTCA hosts an educational conference each year, alternating between Northern California in the odd numbered years and Southern California in the even ones. CTCA conferences present the latest advances in TB prevention and treatment and provide relied upon networking opportunities for experts and those new to TB. LHDs need in-house expertise, partnerships with medical providers outside of public health and policies to support elimination efforts to reduce the impact of TB across California. CTCA supports committees and workgroups in each of these areas.
CTCA is led by a volunteer, elected Executive Committee (EC), made up of
Ongoing work includes:
- An annual educational conference, usually in the Spring, and two TB Controllers Meetings, each year, in the Fall and Spring. Our upcoming events and archived meeting materials can be found under the Events tab.
- CTCA and the California Department of Public Health TB Control Branch co-produce and update guidelines, as resources allow and need determines. Guidelines not being updated are still available on the Additional Resources page, the second submenu, under Guidelines.
- Additional work shared on this website include
- Resources for medical PROVIDERS and PATIENTS
- The Responsibilities of Public Health Departments to Control Tuberculosis
- California TB Legal Resources: Learn about legal resources for public health departments.
- TB Control Staff in California Directory: We work to keep this statewide TB staff directory current. Questions from the public are directed to local public health department TB control staff. CDPH TBCB
staff are also provided in this directory.
Any questions? Feel free to contact us!