CDPH-CTCA Joint Guidelines and Related Guidelines
California standards for the treatment and control of TB in California clarify, simplify, and expand on national guidelines in some cases, providing guidance on how to implement certain State statutes. State recommendations may differ from national recommendations. The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) Tuberculosis Control Branch (TBCB) and California Tuberculosis (TB) Controllers Association (CTCA) Joint Guidelines and Fact Sheets below are developed by representatives from State and Local Health Department TB Control Programs. The CTCA membership and the CDPH-TBCB have endorsed these guidelines for use in California.
These guidelines do not cover every aspect of TB control. Clinicians should refer to national guidelines for subject areas not included in these guidelines.
Modifying these guidelines for local use requires the removal of logos and footers referring to CDPH-CTCA and acknowledgment of to the source document.
Additional Resources: Guidance not being reviewed and updated, due to resource limitations.
Diagnosis and Treatment:
- Latent Tuberculosis Infection Guidance for Preventing Tuberculosis In California, revised June 2019
The CDC published two LTBI resources in 2020:
– Guidelines for the Treatment of Latent Tuberculosis Infection: Recommendations from the National Tuberculosis Controllers
Association and CDC, Feb. 14, 2020
– LTBI: A Guide for Primary Health Care Providers, July 2020
- Supplement to the ATS/CDC/IDSA 2016 Guidelines for the Treatment of Drug Susceptible Tuberculosis, 2019
The ATS/CDC/IDSA 2016 TB Treatment Guidelines are also linked on the CDC Guidelines page of this website.
- CDPH CTCA Actions and Best Practices For Diagnosis and Treatment of Tuberculosis (TB) and Latent TB Infection, 2016
- Follow-Up and Assessment of Persons with Class A/B Tuberculosis, revised 2015