World TB Day (WTBD) - March 24thMaterials from past WTBD events below.
On March 24, 1882, Dr. Robert Koch’s discovery of the TB bacillus. One hundred years later, the World Health Organization (WHO) and the International Union Against TB and Lung Disease (IUATLD) celebrated the 100th anniversary of this landmark in the fight against TB, establishing March 24th as an annual opportunity to call attention to the devastation TB still causes, and the commitment it will take to end TB.
On March 27th, the San Francisco TB Prevention and Control Program (SFDPH) will host a community outreach booth at the heart of the City Farmers’ Market with a focus on educating the public about risk factors for TB. Aligning with the national theme, SFDPH will also conduct a social media campaign with the World TB Day theme of “It’s Time…to Know Your Risk for TB”. San Francisco City Hall will join the yearly global initiative, “Light up the World for TB” and be lit red on March 24th, 2019 in observance of World TB Day.
- Participate in an outreach event at the Olive View Medical Center on 3/22/19. This event is meant to bring awareness to tuberculosis (TB) and provide resources to staff providing care for TB patients.
- Participate in the East Hollywood Certified Farmer’s market on 3/21/19. TBCP staff will be providing tuberculosis education to the local community.
- Visit various landmarks across Los Angeles County that are lighting up in red to show solidarity in the fight against tuberculosis (TB) on World TB day. Some of the landmarks
include:Grand Park Fountain in Downtown Los Angeles, the Los Angeles International (LAX) airport pylons, and the Union Station Clock Tower.
Sunday 3/24/19: WTBD Event with former TB patients.
Monday 3/25/19: P
Stop TB Partnership shared a global theme Wanted: Leaders for a TB-free world. You can make history. End TB.
Their campaign materials include tweet ready myths and facts about TB.
They are asking that landmarks be lit in red on/around March 24, to help raise awareness about TB. Read more about this strategy here.
The World Health Organization is sharing current global statistics on TB.
On Feb 22, 2018, Noon PT the California TB Elimination Coalition met to plan World TB Day activities. See the coalition page for a recording of this webinar.
Materials in the works:
2. Interactive map of California, showing 2016 data elements by local health jurisdictions:
See maps above
3. Social Media Toolkit: With the help of Breathe California Golden Gate we are creating a social media campaign. The consists of facts to tweet in
County of San Diego Tuberculosis Control Branch invites TB patients or family members of those who spent time at the County of San Diego Vauclain Home Tuberculosis Sanatorium or another county area sanatorium during the 1940s, 50s or 60s to a Tuberculosis Survivors Network celebration on Friday, March 23, 2018, 10 AM to 12 PM. The meeting will be held at the County Rosecrans Health Services Complex, 3851 Rosecrans Street, San Diego/ TB survivors, share your stories and provide your ideas on how to better serve current patients that are experiencing the same journey to wellness. For more information or to RSVP, please contact Yolanda Lopez through the contact us button below.
On March 22, 2018 SF TB Program co-hosted a media event to honor the North East Medical Services network of community health centers as a leader in the work taking place in San Francisco to end TB, modifying the Stop TB Partnership theme, and Celebrating Leaders for a TB-free World. This event was followed by a third annual SF Walk to end TB. SF City Hall will be lit in red on 3/27.